From Aaron McCurry <amccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Query Performance Calculation question
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2013 00:58:34 GMT
This is going to be interesting, you really need the time calculated in/at
the Controller.  Since this is for active develop of 0.3, I would like to
bring up something I have been thinking about for awhile.  A
monitor/metrics recording process.  The base idea is to remove the status
functionality, metrics gathering, query recording, etc. from the
controllers and shards and move them into this process.

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Chris Rohr <rohr.chris@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For the new Blur Console I am trying to add a graph that will display the
> average query time of all of the queries per minute.  Currently I am
> looping over all of the queries, and collecting the real time from the
> CpuTimes object and then averaging the numbers.  I don't think that I am
> taking the correct approach to this, due to the fact that even with a
> single query the difference between what I am calculating and what is
> displayed in the shell is way off.  For instance, I ran one query that the
> shell stated took 123ms and my calculation came back with 3.5ms.  I do know
> that the CpuTimes items are nanoseconds so I am doing the conversion to ms
> (and I did verify that I have the correct number of zeros).

I think that the CpuTimes will tell you how much computational time was
spent calculating the answer.  The rest of the time is likely the CPU
blocking on IO.  So to get the query time you will need to use the
starttime and you will also need the end time.  Strangely I don't see where
we record that at all.  :-/  So we should probably create and issue and do
that.

Hope this helps.

Aaron