From Aaron McCurry <amccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help needed for BLUR-208
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2013 00:54:17 GMT
On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM, saurabh gupta <saurabh.b85@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am looking an improvement BLUR-208. I am stuck at one place in BlurNRT
> class where we are loading previous snapshots and set in
> SnapshotDeletionPolicy. But now there is no way to load previous snapshots.

We haven't built a way to load in previous snapshots.  We have planned on
doing so but have not actually implemented it yet.  We left the snapshots
incomplete because at the time we were trying to write an InputFormat for
Hadoop.

It shouldn't be too hard to do if the table is offline.  Online moves to
previous snapshots will be tricky.

> Also SnapshotDeletionPolicy is returning list of IndexCommit and otherwise
> we have to use generation to get the specific IndexCommit. Now I dont know
> how to get the generation.

Are you asking about how it works in Lucene or in Blur?  In Blur we create
a snapshot label to manage the snapshots.

The Lucene basic code needed to open an old snapshot would be something
like:

    IndexCommit snapshot = snapshotter.getSnapshot(name);

    DirectoryReader.open(snapshot);
If you could let us know what / how you would expect Blur to behave when
best to work toward.

Thanks!

Aaron