From Aaron McCurry <amccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Column Family and Queries
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 12:22:29 GMT
On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Colton McInroy <colton@dosarrest.com>wrote:

> Hello Aaron,
>
>     As long as this works with both the ability to add rows/records and
> queries.... As I've mentioned in the past, I'm using this to implement a
> logging system, and I figure I guess I could use family columns to separate
> a message into the event fields and the parsed message fields, but when
> making queries, it would be easiest for people using it not to have to
> differentiate between the column families.

Agreed.

>     I can see this being handled two ways really. One, making it so that
> if a column family is not specified, that the query will query all families
> with that field. The second method I could see is having a method called on
> the Query object or something specifying which column families to query by
> default, with the option to specify all column families.

The first (query all column families for the name) can be difficult because
of the Row Query (
http://incubator.apache.org/blur/docs/0.2.0/data-model.html#row_query ).
 It would mean expanding the query logically across all the families that
matched.  I think that your second suggestion of setting a default would
work fine as well but if the real need to to be able to not have them at
all.  Then that's what we should do.  There has been several instances
where they have gotten in the way.  And if we removed it altogether there
really is nothing stopping users from just adding the family name to the
column "fam1.col1".  Because when it comes down to it, that's about all
that it does.

Aaron