From Colton McInroy <col...@dosarrest.com>
Subject Re: Facets
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2013 20:45:38 GMT
You have any suggestions on how I should deal with needing this type of
information in the mean time?...

Typically what I used facet data for was to generate graph data. Instead
of having to go through every match, group it by time, count them up
manually, etc, I would get facet data for timestamps. For instance, I
create a query which says "field1:value" I would then have grabbed the
facets for the Date field use the facet counts to plot a graph with
timestamp/matches.

I was thinking just go through all of the matches for now, which
althrough probably is not nearly as efficient as going using lucene type
facets, would get the trick done temporarily until proper facets are
implemented.

Currently the blur site lists facets as being something that works here...

http://incubator.apache.org/blur/how_it_works.html

But as this thread kinda pointed out, facets the way faceted
classification describes does not exist right now within apache blur. So
someone may want to change that to inform that it is currently on the
todo list or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faceted_classification

A great example I use to show people what facets are is the following
site...

http://www.fasttech.com/category/1499/consumer-electronics

On the left side, it is easy to see a breakdown of all the different
Fields/Values associated with the current search query. My intention is
to display facet data for all (or the important ones anyway) of the
fields associated with the current query along with a line graph showing
the count of all matching rows for each time interval. Then the query
can be refined more by querying a specific time range, or field.

Is proper facet implementation something that is has a somewhat high
priority and will hopefully be at least partially implemented within the
next couple of weeks/months? Or should I just work on processing all the
results myself for now? Also, I notice the default query matches is only
10, and I see no way to specify unlimited. Can I specify -1 for limited
or something like that, or do I need to specify a really large number
that will always be higher than the number of actual results I am
expecting... like Long.MAX_VALUE or something?

Thanks,
Colton McInroy

  * Director of Security Engineering

Phone