From Chris Rohr <rohr.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Blur Console Tests
Date Fri, 27 Sep 2013 02:10:13 GMT
Tim,

Sure thing.

In an effort to make the console more of a push button setup (like the blur
components) we have been looking at what is really needed and re-evaluating
the information currently presented in the console.  Also, while I am very
fond of Ruby on Rails, it is really not made for distributable packages,
and by that I mean, it has been very hard to "bundle" the application up
and drop it on systems and expect it to work out of the box.  The console
has also added more dependencies (i.e. Ruby, Relational DB) than is needed
for Blur itself.  The final complexity that needed to be overcome was the
fact that there was a collector agent and the web application as two
separate packages of code and the only communication was through a database.

After talking with Aaron a bit, he mentioned that not only is the Thrift
API being generated in Java and Ruby, but he is also generating it in
Javascript as well.  For now we have settled on an approach that has a very
small Jetty server being stood up (purely to server the pages to the
browser) and then the entire console would be done in the browser through
Javascript.  Currently I have been investigating using AngularJS to handle
the UI interactions.

This approach does have some trade-offs:

1. We are dropping the HDFS monitoring/metrics in favor of other tools
2. The console will now only provide information for the instance of Blur
that is running (1 ZK ensemble).  The previous version allowed you to point
the agent to as many as you wanted
3. As of right now, some of the audit (who disabled/deleted a table) and
user preferences will be removed (though some of this may be able to be
brought back)
4. The user's browser will have to have direct communication to the
controllers (i.e. may need to only view console from within the firewall)

I have a new branch started and I think I'm at the point where I at least
have a directory structure stood up.  I will be pushing the branch up to
the repo very soon so I can get help.  Please let me know if any of this
gives people a headache, I would much rather change courses now than later.

Chris