From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Blur version 0.2.0-incubating
Date Fri, 06 Sep 2013 22:38:51 GMT
Hi Aaron. Great first pass.

I'm -1 at the moment. In general things look good however I noticed
the following issues

1) RAT identified a large number of files with licensing issues (see attached)

You can run the rat tool (http://creadur.apache.org/rat/) manually via:
java -jar ~/apache-rat-0.10/apache-rat-0.10.jar . > ../rat.txt
(run it on both your source and binary artifacts)

I see that the RAT plugin is included in pom.xml, but for some reason
it's not being validated as part of the build? That should be fixed.

2) the many image files that are included (source artifact), are they
under compatible licenses? Or are they images the project created?

3) your README should mention Apache prominently

4) the license/notice for the src repo looks ok. however the binary
has an issue. Binary releases are a pain to get right and maintain.
For example see section 4d from the apache license, as applied to
derivative works (you are including 3rd party code - i.e. jars):

      (d) If the Work includes a "NOTICE" text file as part of its
          distribution, then any Derivative Works that You distribute must
          include a readable copy of the attribution notices contained
          within such NOTICE file, excluding those notices that do not
          pertain to any part of the Derivative Works, in at least one
          of the following places: ....

One way around this is if the jar you are including itself has the
NOTICE file - in the case of hadoop-core jar that's not the case and
you need to handle.

5) I would recommend naming the directory of the source artifact
distinct from the binary artifact. Perhaps
apache-blur-0.2.0-incubating-src and apache-blur-0.2.0-incubating
respectively. (optional though, just makes folks lives easier if they
d/l and extract both)

Patrick