From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Reworking the data model
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:27 GMT
Hi Devs,
I'm wondering if we should go ahead and endure the [painful] move to a
more intuitive data model in Blur?  Here are some observations:

1) New folks coming to Blur have a background in Lucene - not
necessarily a NoSQL data store - and want to know where their
"Documents" are.

2) For folks aware of NoSQL stores, the Row/Record model can be
misleading in terms of design tradeoffs.

3) The Row/Record model seems to bring a significant explanation burden.

In the past we've talked about a model that's more aligned with
Lucene's Document's.  Aaron did some api work on a branch a while back
and it's come up in an issue again recently.

So, I'm wondering if now is the time to just endure some shortish
period of pain changing everything over now?  The idea being something
like:

Row -> DocGroup
Record -> Document
Column -> Field
Family -> (dropped)

I think this will alleviate some confusion and provide a solid
foundation for the long term; enabling a shorter learning curve and
less confusion.

Such a big change would be good to get done while we're still a
small-ish community but I think it's important that everyone is on
board - as it will no doubt create lots of short term chaos and
confusion...

Thoughts?

Thanks,
--tim