From Aaron McCurry <amccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Blur version 0.2.0-incubating
Date Fri, 06 Sep 2013 23:16:24 GMT
Thanks Patrick for reviewing!  I do have some questions.

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Aaron. Great first pass.
>
> I'm -1 at the moment. In general things look good however I noticed
> the following issues
>
> 1) RAT identified a large number of files with licensing issues (see
> attached)
>
> You can run the rat tool (http://creadur.apache.org/rat/) manually via:
> java -jar ~/apache-rat-0.10/apache-rat-0.10.jar . > ../rat.txt
> (run it on both your source and binary artifacts)
>
> I see that the RAT plugin is included in pom.xml, but for some reason
> it's not being validated as part of the build? That should be fixed.

Ok, should I add an exclude for each of the 3rd party script (or script
like) files in the exclude list?  Meaning things like jquery js and css
files that are under a different license and should be accounted for in the
LICENSE file.

Also since the docs/site/ in all generated by maven can I exclude those
from rate as well?  Or do I need to setup a site header to add the license?
 I assume there is a way to do that.

> 2) the many image files that are included (source artifact), are they
> under compatible licenses? Or are they images the project created?

I will look into them.  I see that most of them are assets in the
blur-console contrib, so I will have to defer to Chris Rohr on what they
are and how they were created he is the expert there.  There are a couple
in the docs that are screenshots that I created.

> 3) your README should mention Apache prominently
>
> 4) the license/notice for the src repo looks ok. however the binary
> has an issue. Binary releases are a pain to get right and maintain.
> For example see section 4d from the apache license, as applied to
> derivative works (you are including 3rd party code - i.e. jars):
>
>       (d) If the Work includes a "NOTICE" text file as part of its
>           distribution, then any Derivative Works that You distribute must
>           include a readable copy of the attribution notices contained
>           within such NOTICE file, excluding those notices that do not
>           pertain to any part of the Derivative Works, in at least one
>           of the following places: ....

So just to clarify, for each derivative work that has a NOTICE file I need
to include that NOTICE file in the blur binary artifact?  Can place the
NOTICE file beside the jar in the lib directory?

> One way around this is if the jar you are including itself has the
> NOTICE file - in the case of hadoop-core jar that's not the case and
> you need to handle.

Does this mean if the jar that Blur depends on contains a NOTICE within it
then it's handled?  Or am I just confused?

> 5) I would recommend naming the directory of the source artifact
> distinct from the binary artifact. Perhaps
> apache-blur-0.2.0-incubating-src and apache-blur-0.2.0-incubating
> respectively. (optional though, just makes folks lives easier if they
> d/l and extract both)

Agreed.

Thanks again!

Aaron