From Colton McInroy <col...@dosarrest.com>
Subject Re: Creating/Managing tables saying table already exists
Date Sat, 28 Sep 2013 03:30:39 GMT
Coments inline...
Thanks,
Colton McInroy

  * Director of Security Engineering

Phone
(Toll Free)
_US_ 	(888)-818-1344 Press 2
_UK_ 	0-800-635-0551 Press 2

My Extension 	101
24/7 Support 	support@dosarrest.com <mailto:support@dosarrest.com>
Email 	colton@dosarrest.com <mailto:colton@dosarrest.com>
Website 	http://www.dosarrest.com

On 9/27/2013 5:02 AM, Aaron McCurry wrote:
> I have commented inline below:
>

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Colton McInroy <colton@dosarrest.com>wrote:
>>      I do have a few question if you don't mind... I am still trying to
>> wrap my head around how this works. In my current implementation for a
>> logging system I create new indexes for each hour because I have a massive
>> amount of data coming in. I take in live log data from syslog and
>> parse/store it in hourly lucene indexes along with a facet index. I want to
>> turn this into a distributed redundant system and blur appears to be the
>> way to go. I tried elasticsearch but it is just too slow compared to my
>> current implementation. Given I take in gigs of raw log data an hour, I
>> need something that is robust and able to keep up with in flow of data.
>>
> Due to the current implementation of building up an index for an hour and
> then making available.  I would use MapReduce for this:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/blur/docs/0.2.0/using-blur.html#map-reduce
>
> That way all the shards in a table get a little more data each hour and
> it's very low impact on the running cluster.
Not sure I understand this. I would like data to be accessible live as
it comes in, not wait an hour before I can query against it.
I am also not sure where map-reduce comes in here. I thought mapreduce
is something that blur used internally.
>>      When taking in lots of data constantly, how is it recommended that it
>> be stored? I mentioned above that I create a new index for each hour to
>> keep data separated and quicker to search. If I want to look up a specific
>> time frame, I only have to load the directories timestamped with the hours
>> I want to look at. So instead of having to look at a huge index of like a
>> years worth of data, i'm looking at a much smaller data set which results
>> in faster query response times. Should a new table be created for each hour
>> of data? When I typed in the create command into the shell, it takes about
>> 6 seconds to create a table. If I have to create a table for each
>> application each hour, this could create a lot of lag. Perhaps this is just
>> in my test environment though. Any thoughts on this? I also didn't see any
>> examples of how to create tables via code.
>>
> First off Blur is designed to store very large amounts of data.  And while
> it can do NRT updates like Solr and ES it's main focus in on bulk ingestion
> through MapReduce.  Given that, the real limiting factor is how much
> hardware you have.  Let's play out a scenario.  If you are adding 10GB of
> data an hour and I would think that a good rough ballpark guess is that you
> will need 10-15% of inbound data size as memory to make the search perform
> well.  However as the index sizes increase this % may decrease over time.
>   Blur has an off-heap lru cache to make accessing hdfs faster, however if
> you don't have enough memory the searches (and the cluster for that matter)
> won't fail, they will simply become slower.
>
> So it's really a question of how much hardware you have.  If you have
> filling a table enough to where it does perform well given the cluster you
> have.  You might have to break it into pieces.  But I think that hourly is
> too small.  Daily, Weekly, Monthly, etc.
In my current system (which uses just lucene) I designed we take in
mainly web logs and separate them into indexes. Each web server gets
it's own index for each hour. Then when I need to query the data, I use
a multi index reader to access the timeframe I need allowing me to keep
the size of index down to roughly what I need to search. If data was
stored over a month, and I want to query data that happened in just a
single hour, or a few minutes, it makes sense to me to keep things
optimized. Also, if I wanted to compare one web server to another, I
would just use the multi index reader to load both indexes. This is all
handled by a single server though, so it is limited by the hardware of
the single server. If something fails, it's a big problem. When trying
to query large data sets, it's again, only a single server, so it takes
longer than I would like if the index it's reading is large.
I am not entirely sure how to go about doing this in blur. I'm imagining
that each "table" is an index. So I would have a table format like...
YYYY_MM_DD_HH_IP. If I do this though, is there a way to query multiple
tables... like a milti table reader or something? or am I limited to
looking at a single table at a time?
For some web servers that have little traffic, an hour of data may only
have a few mb of data in it while other may have like a 5-10gb index. If
I combined the index from a large site with the small sites, this should
make everything slower for the queries against the small sites index
correct? Or would it all be the same due to how blur separates indexes
into shards? Would it perhaps be better to have an index for each web
server, and configure small sites to have less shards while larger sites
have more shards?
We just got a new really large powerful server to be our log server, but
as I realize that it's a single point of failure, I want to change our
configuration to use a clustered/distributed configuration. So we would
start with probably a minimal configuration, and start adding more shard
servers when ever we can afford it or need it.
>>      Do shards contain the index data while the location (hdfs) contains
>> the documents (what lucene referred to them as)? I read that the shard
>> contains the index while the fs contains the data... I just wasn't quiet
>> sure what the data was, because when I work with lucene, the index
>> directory contains the data as a document.
>
> The shard is stored in HDFS, and it is a Lucene index.  We store the data
> inside the Lucene index, so it's basically Lucene all the way down to HDFS.
Ok, so basically a controller is a service which connects to all (or
some?) shards a distributed query, which tells the shard to run a query
against a certain data set, that shard then gets that data set either
from memory or from the hadoop cluster, processes it, and returns the
result to the controller which condenses the results from all the
queried shards into a final result right?