From Aaron McCurry <amccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New to Blur
Date Wed, 01 May 2013 02:33:21 GMT
Hi Rahul,

Welcome!  Blur is a young incubator project and with that there is not a
lot of documentation.  Yet.  But we do have a lot of code.  :-)

Blur uses HDFS for storing indexes, MapReduce for bulk indexing, Thrift for
RPC and ZooKeeper for state, and of course Lucene for search.  Yes Blur can
and should run along side a standard Hadoop install (MapReduce + HDFS).  It
currently works with the 1.0.x version or CDH3 from Cloudera.  I'm sure we
can get it to work with 2.0.x and CDH4, it just hasn't happen yet.  However
the only dependency to run Blur on a single machine is ZooKeeper.  HDFS is
required for a cluster.

To get you started.

git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-blur.git

# we are currently focusing on getting 0.1.5 to a releasable state.
git checkout 0.1.5

In the checkout you will find a README.md that is a bit out of date with
the code examples but the general theme is correct.  For more examples take
a look at the blur-testsuite project, there are a lot of code examples in
there to get you started.

To build the project into a tarball that can be extracted and executed.

run "mvn install" from the src/ directory.  Once it has successfully
executed all the tests and built everything you will find a tar.gz file in
the target/ directory in the distribution project.

Before you can run Blur, Apache ZooKeeper needs to be running.  A default
install will work.

After extracting the Blur tar.gz file you should be able to run the
bin/start-all.sh and it should start a Blur controller and a shard server
on your local machine.

I would love to hear how your initial compile and install goes, because we
could use this thread and any information that is exchanged to create a
nice little wiki page for 0.1.5.

Thank!

Aaron