From Aaron McCurry <amccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: the feature formerly known as superquery
Date Sat, 26 Jan 2013 18:35:20 GMT
Well, this is a good topic. It will be possible, however there hasn't been
any formal implementation yet.

Here are some thoughts from an API perspective.

Currently a query is provided and results are returned as a list of
TopFieldDocs  Then within each TopFieldDoc there is a list of ScoreDocs
within each ScoreDoc there is a single document location represented by a
long.

In the past when performing a SuperQuery or Join in Lucene terms, Blur
would actually respond with a single document location (docid) from the
group of documents.  It was always the first document in the grouping of
documents.

Example:

logical grouping | docid | hit | responding document id hit

0 | 0 | - | -
0 | 1 | - | -
1 | 2 | - | 2
1 | 3 | x | -
1 | 4 | - | -
1 | 5 | x | -
2 | 6 | - | -
2 | 7 | - | -
3 | 8 | - | -

This is the "join" meaning the hit's within group 1 would respond with the
first document id in the group, which is docid 2 (but take note of how 3
and 5 were the documents that actually contained the hit.

There have been many requests to change this behavior in 0.1 to something
like, respond with 3,5 as the docids in the first hit.

So I suppose we change the ScoreDoc object to contain a list of longs for
the ScoreDoc to contain all of the document locations (docids) from the
group that were involved in creating the hit.

Thoughts?

Aaron