From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: BlurConfiguration
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 03:18:32 GMT
On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Aaron McCurry <amccurry@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, what if we add a separate method called override that allowed you
> override the values in the blur-site / blur-default files?  And then you
> could call that after the base constructor is called?
>
> Also that would just a be a shortcut for calling config.set(name,value)
> which you can do now (I think).  Would either of these solve the issue?

I think these won't do because both are trying to override the
defaults.  Let's use a concrete example...

In MiniCluster...
... we override the default zookeeper (21810)
... but leave all other defaults...

In a user of MiniCluster...
... I leave the MiniCluster overridden zookeeper default (21810)
... but want to override shard/controller bind ports.

So, I create a Minicluster with conf:
BlurConfiguration conf = new BlurConfiguration();
which gets thedefaults...
.. and my added shard/controller ports...

Only, when I merge my client passed in configs to MiniCluster, there's
no way of knowing which are overridden and which are defaults -
because both my client and MiniCluster created our BlurConfiguration
object with new BlurConfiguration() which called init(), which loaded
the defaults.

.. but then, this is all very complicated to write in english -  I
could push a branch highlighting the dilemma if that'd be easier?

> I think that an improvement to MiniCluster would be to random choose ports
> for the Blur thrift servers to bind to automatically.  This is how the HDFS
> mini cluster works.

Sure, I just want to run my tests (utilizing MiniCluster) without
having to shutdown my current Blur instance:)

--tim