From Aaron McCurry <amccu...@gmail.com>
Subject RPC question - Time for a change?
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2012 13:56:08 GMT
In recent weeks I have had several discussions with developers over the
complexity of the RPC and how we need to make it easier to use.  I agree,
but I have struggling to come up with a way to make things easier to use
while still having all the components necessary to allow all the different
functions to operate.

To date the Blur shard server and the Blur controller server have shared
the same Thrift service API, perhaps that should change.  A lot of the
extra pieces to the API have come from this fact.  Basically the
controllers needs to be able to pass different information to shard servers
than the clients need to pass to the Blur controllers.

The change that I am proposing, split the API into the 3 services.

- User / Client API (for the controller)
- Shard Server API
- Admin API

One pro to this design is that changes to the internal API (Shard Server)
could be changed and have less of an impact to the clients if any.

The only drawback to this approach is that the controller has to be
deployed, even for testing.  Currently you can just deploy a single shard
server and have the same features as a whole cluster.  We could get around
this by allowing the controller API (and the admin API) to be run in the
same process as the shard server so that the same small scale testing could
occur.  This then begs the question, do we need separate controller
processes?  Should we allow for all 3 API types to always be in every
process?  or should we keep things the way they are?  or should we just
allow users to configure things they way they want?

Aaron