From Arthur Chen <zijian.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: advancement of Bluesky project
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 10:08:10 GMT
Dear Bernd,

Thanks for your kind suggestion and support from the start of the project.
For the problems you mentioned, I would like to add some more words to Liu's
explanation.

First we must admit that Chinese people are not quite adaptable to the
philosophy of open source.
This may due to the history and national personality, but we are trying to
change it.
Being the first Chinese opensource project in ASF, we aims to promote the
open source movement in China.

Though there are few discussions in the mailing list, the project is
actively being developed. Most contributors are from Xi'an Jiaotong
University,
but we also have some other guys involved who have graduated from the
university, like Shan Jiang, Weizhan Zhang, etc.
Just like the IRC used in abroad, we prefer instant communication for the
project development. This is done by the use of QQ (a popular Chinese
instant messenger) instead of IRC.

We know the project is not open enough, most developers are from the
university. But we are trying to attract more developers from outside,
we believe this can be done through the following ways:
1. The propagation among Chinese universities by the lab
2. The collaboration with other parties, like IBM mentioned by Liu.
3. The dissemination by graduated developers

I think given some time, we can attract more people, and make it a good
project in ASF.

For the mailing list discussion, my suggestion is to log the communication
in QQ, and post it to the mailing list.

Best regards,
Ping Chen

Kerckhoffs Master Student in Netherlands
Eindhoven University of Technology
Radboud University Nijmegen
University of Twente