From Samuel Kevin <lovesumm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: met some problems when using Apache RAT tools
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2010 14:56:22 GMT
2010/1/14 Bill Stoddard <wgstoddard@gmail.com>

> On 1/14/10 6:31 AM, Samuel Kevin wrote:
>
>> yeah, i can't get the output now. Here's some export message.
>> Unapproved licenses:
>>
>>   RealClass/DTU/Makefile
>>   RealClass/DTU/Makefile.am
>>   RealClass/DTU/Makefile.in
>>   RealClass/DTU/acconfig.h
>>   RealClass/DTU/acinclude.m4
>>   RealClass/DTU/autogen.sh
>>

>>    1. do i need to add ASL license header to those files which are already
>>
>>    licensed license? If it is so, i need to keep the original license,
>> right?
>>    2. some of the  "Unapproved licenses" are GPLed like ltmain.sh which is
>>
>>    exception and legal under ASL. I remember that such file is not
>> relicensed
>>    with ASL in an Apache project. So, do i need to add ASL license to
>> these
>>    files?
>>
>> thanks a lot.
>> regards,
>> Kevin
>>

> Hi, Kevin.
> Do not change the license or add the ASL license to these files.  Only the
> author (or copyright owner) of the file can change the license of that file.
>
> As you know, ASF projects are not allowed to redistribute GPL or LGPL code
> (or any other code with license that impose restrictions on our users).   It
> is, however, generally acceptable to use GPL/LGPL tools in our development
> and build processes (GNU compilers, autoconf, buildconf, libtool, et. al.)
>

> These files (.m4 files and all) appear to be files generated by buildconf,
> autoconf or libtool, if i recall correctly.  If so, I don't think these
> files will be included in your RealClass distribution.   This is the
> question:  for every file that rat flags as a problem, is that file
> distributed, in source or binary form, with the RealClass binary we will
> provide to our users?  FYI, the Apache httpd build process produces similar
> artifacts that are not distributed with the http server.  Hope this helps.
>
> yes, i knew that. I've consult such problem in legal discussion. i quote
the example of httpd, and someone show me an example of CrouchDB, they use
the same, kind of, files in svn. and i remember that Sam Ruby fixed the
redistribution problem with files generated with autotools etc. it should be
:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-58?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel
regards,
Kevin