From Bill Stoddard <wgstodd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: met some problems when using Apache RAT tools
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2010 14:20:33 GMT
On 1/14/10 6:31 AM, Samuel Kevin wrote:
> yeah, i can't get the output now. Here's some export message.
> Unapproved licenses:
>
>    RealClass/DTU/Makefile
>    RealClass/DTU/Makefile.am
>    RealClass/DTU/Makefile.in
>    RealClass/DTU/acconfig.h
>    RealClass/DTU/acinclude.m4
>    RealClass/DTU/autogen.sh
>

>     1. do i need to add ASL license header to those files which are already
>     licensed license? If it is so, i need to keep the original license, right?
>     2. some of the  "Unapproved licenses" are GPLed like ltmain.sh which is
>     exception and legal under ASL. I remember that such file is not relicensed
>     with ASL in an Apache project. So, do i need to add ASL license to these
>     files?
>
> thanks a lot.
> regards,
> Kevin

Hi, Kevin.
Do not change the license or add the ASL license to these files.  Only
the author (or copyright owner) of the file can change the license of
that file.

As you know, ASF projects are not allowed to redistribute GPL or LGPL
code (or any other code with license that impose restrictions on our
users).   It is, however, generally acceptable to use GPL/LGPL tools in
our development and build processes (GNU compilers, autoconf, buildconf,
libtool, et. al.)

These files (.m4 files and all) appear to be files generated by
buildconf, autoconf or libtool, if i recall correctly.  If so, I don't
think these files will be included in your RealClass distribution.
This is the question:  for every file that rat flags as a problem, is
that file distributed, in source or binary form, with the RealClass
binary we will provide to our users?  FYI, the Apache httpd build
process produces similar artifacts that are not distributed with the
http server.  Hope this helps.

Bill