From Samuel Kevin <lovesumm...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: about the legalization of script like ltmain.sh
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 02:46:25 GMT
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>
Date: 2009/11/24
Subject: Re: about the legalization of script like ltmain.sh
To: legal-discuss@apache.org

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Samuel Kevin <lovesummerf@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi, all:
>     i am from BlueSky project. In our project, we use some script auto
> generated by some GNU tools like autotools. And those script like
ltmain.sh
> are licensed under GPL. So far as i known, that might not be allowed to
> upload to SVN. i want to confirm this here. And i also find ltmain.sh in
> httpd2.2-13 archive but i failed to find it in svn of httpd. i am a little
> confused about that, could someone help me out? thanks
> regards
> Kevin
>
> --
> Bowen Ma a.k.a Samuel Kevin @ Bluesky Dev Team    XJTU
> Shaanxi Province Key Lab. of Satellite and Terrestrial Network Tech
> http://incubator.apache.org/bluesky/

Samuel,

The reason that ltmain.sh and libtool aren't in httpd's SVN repo is
because its considered bad form to check generated source files. Sadly
I can't find the blog post that does a good job of dicussing this
issue. Suffice it to say, if you're not regenerating your build system
from the input files (*.am *.ac etc) then it'll grow stale and break
quite quickly. For instance, httpd appears to use buildconf [1] and
CouchDB uses bootstrap [2] to create the build system for developers
that check out SVN. At release time [3] the build system is generated
and included in the tarballs.

For reference, the list of files that I find with the exception clause
generated by CouchDB's build system are:

config.guess
config.sub
depcomp
install-sh