From Samuel Kevin <lovesumm...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: the license of soundcard.h
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:13:44 GMT
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org>
Date: 2009/9/14
Subject: Re: the license of soundcard.h
To: legal-discuss@apache.org

BSD (modified) license is Ok to use in Apache projects. I assume that
you are not aiming for a new implementation, but to link against it.
Yes, that is Ok, and you would then require that the implementation is
available from "elsewhere", possibly a Linux distro. If that is not
the usage pattern, let us know.

Cheers
Niclas

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Samuel Kevin <lovesummerf@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi, all:
>       I am from the BlueSky project. we are now confused about one license
> of soundcard.h in linux. Could someone tell us that whether it conflicts
> with ASL. the following is the quotation from our dev mailing list.
thanks.

http://www.4front-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6494
> It seems that the OSS API (soundcard.h) is totally free, here is the
license
> declaration of soundcard.h (/usr/include/linux/soundcard.h)
>
> /*
> * Copyright by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1997
> *
> * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
> * met: 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. 2.
> * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
notice,
> * this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
documentation
> * and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
> *
> * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
ANY
> * EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED
> * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
> * DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR
> * ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
> * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
OR
> * SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
HOWEVER
> * CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
> * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY
WAY

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er