From Arthur Chen <zijian.p...@gmail.com>
Subject the license of soundcard.h
Date Wed, 09 Sep 2009 09:00:43 GMT
Hi all,

There is something about the license of soundcard.h I want to clear. I think
we mix up the license of OSS API and the OSS software.I searched the 4Front
Technologies User forums and found something:

*It's necessary to see the difference between the OSS API and the OSS
software distributed and maintained by 4Front Technologies.

The API (soundcard.h) is completely free (in public domain). Everybody has
full right to create an implementation of the API in their (driver)
software. Our only hope is that the API is kept consistent between all the
implementations. In addition authors of the implementations can define
whatever copying conditions for their software they like.

However the OSS software implementation released by 4Front Technologies is
not completely free (as for free beer). It is commercial software under
commercial license. The software is open sourced (source code is available
under GPL and CDDL). It's for free if used in open sourced (or for free)
applications under open sourced operating systems. Noncompatible use
requires a (paid) license from 4Front Technologies.

Best regards,

Hannu
_________________
Hannu Savolainen (hannu@opensound.com)*

*soundcard.h is under a BSD license - you can include that file with any
application.

regards
Dev*

the full post is here http://www.4front-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6494
It seems that the OSS API (soundcard.h) is totally free, here is the license
declaration of soundcard.h (/usr/include/linux/soundcard.h)

/*
* Copyright by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1997
*
* modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
* met: 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. 2.
* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
* this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
* and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
*
* THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND ANY
* EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
* WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
* DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR
* ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
* DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
* SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER
* CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
* LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
* OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
* SUCH DAMAGE.
*/

So maybe we can still use the OSS APIs in Realclass system, but I am still a
little confused about the license.