From Bill Stoddard <wgstodd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: inactive commiters id and new proposed commiters id
Date Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:01:28 GMT
Samuel Kevin wrote:
> Hi all:
>     The following commiters had graduated and with little possiblity they
> could participate in this project.
>      Dong Yang  a.k.a  okid
>      JingJing Gao  a.k.a  stellagjj
>      Fan Zhang   a.k.a  zhangfan
>    And we propose two person to be new commiters.
>     Bowen Ma      lovesummerf@gmail.com
>     Ping Chen       zijian.ping@gmail.com
>
> regards,
> Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I will ask the infra team to revoke the okid, stellagjj
and zhangfan.

Regarding new committers...
Kevin, The ASF mentors on this project (and other members of the
Incubator PMC) have a big concern about the Bluesky project committers.
Our goal (ASF and Bluesky project members) should be to a) create a
strong, transparent, open community of developers (and hopefully users)
that b) follow the rules of the ASF and c) release code. The mentors and
project committers must work together to achieve these goals.

The bluesky team needs to put much, much more effort into building the
community around ASF principles. In order to build a diverse developers
community, outsiders must be able to look into the bluesky project
(wiki, mailing list, source code, bug tracker) and get a clear
understanding of what the code does, how to build the code, current
technical issues being worked on, where the project has been, where the
project is going. You must capture technical discussions and decisions
on the developers mailing list. If someone looking in from the outside
cannot understand where the project has been, current technical issues
and where the project is going, then they will not know how to join and
participate in the community. Again, our primary goal is to grow the
community. Everything we do should be directed at encouraging and
enabling outsiders to join our community. Technical discussions and
decisions should be visible to everyone (by looking at the dev mailing
list archives or wiki).

The next thing you must understand is that all the bluesky developers
participate in the community as individuals. User ids are never shared,
you never commit/contribute code without clearly indicating where you
got the code (did you write the code? did someone else write the code
and if so, who? and do you have their permission to contribute the code?).

ASF projects have strict code licensing requirements (for example, the
recent discussion on LGPL & GPL code). I want to warn the bluesky team
in the strictest way possible... it is never acceptable to take code
someone else has written, change the license and contribute it to the
project under the changed license. It is never acceptable to contribute
code that was not written by you without clearly stating where the code
came from. Every piece of code in bluesky has an origin... that origin
needs to be captured as a comment in the svn commit AND also in the
NOTICES files that should exist in the top level svn directory (for
example, see the NOTICES file in Apache Geronimo here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk/NOTICE.txt)

If the ASF ever finds code in bluesky that was taken from another
project without the proper attribution, the project will very likely be
shutdown permanently. I hope I am being effective in telling you how
important it is to clearly understand (no guessing!!) and document where
code comes from.

What I just described above is the essence of the "Apache Way". The
Incubator PMC expects all members of the Bluesky project to demonstrate
and follow the "Apache Way" in all their project activities. You must
train and teach outsiders and newcomers in the Apache Way, so that those
outsiders and newcomers can, in turn, teach ever newer outsiders and
newcomers in the Apache Way. It is in this way the project becomes self
sustaining and the strong community is born. If you want the project to
graduate, you MUST follow the Apache Way consistently.

Last comment from me for now :-)
While we would all prefer to see emails in English, I am not opposed to
some of the email exchanges being in Chinese. It is a tremendous
challenge to the team to communicate entirely in written English and if
some Chinese is needed to facilitate efficiency, I think we need to do
it. Maybe that will also help me learn more 汉字 :-)

So please let's discuss these points while we are deciding how to get
the new committers on the project.

Regards
Bill