From Bill Stoddard <wgstodd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ffmpeg license
Date Sat, 25 Jul 2009 13:14:03 GMT
Samuel Kevin wrote:
> Hi, Bill:
>          I've seen this page. I used to consult whether LGPLed code is
> compatible with ASL, and people in Apache community show me this link:
>
> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html. I found the following words:
> GNU LGPLThe LGPL is ineligible primarily due to the restrictions it places
> on larger works, violating the third license criterion. Therefore,
> LGPL-licensed works *must not* be included in Apache products.
Hi Kevin
We are not allowed to physically include and distribute LGPL in Apache
projects, however it is acceptable (not ideal, but acceptable) for
Apache projects to have dependencies on (and dynamically link to) LGPL
code.  Consider for example, the Apache HTTP Server on Linux... it
relies on multiple services provided by LGPL libraries.  The HTTP Server
project relies on LGPL libraries being present on Linux systems.

Bill