From Arthur Chen <zijian.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: [libav-user] License of libavcodec and libavformat
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2009 02:59:21 GMT
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: d3fault <d3faultdotxbe@gmail.com>
Date: 2009/7/27
Subject: Re: [libav-user] License of libavcodec and libavformat
To: Libav* user questions and discussions <libav-user@mplayerhq.hu>

 On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Arthur Chen <zijian.ping@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>    I am using the libavcodec and libavformat to develop an e-learning
> project. The project request all library which we used in it be under
LGPL.
> I know that FFmpeg is licensed under the LGPL version 2.1 or later.
> However,
> FFmpeg incorporates several optional modules that are covered by the GPL
> version 2 or later, notably libpostproc and libswscale.
>    But I don't know the License of libavcodec and libavformat....
>
> regards,
> Arthur

libavcodec and libavformat are both LGPL, but if the library you use with
your app was compiled to use libpostproc and/or libswscale (most likely it
was unless you compiled it yourself), then you can't redistribute those
binaries unless you comply to the terms of the GPL and release your source
code too. If you don't need libswscale or libpostproc, you should look into
compiling your own libraries in LGPL mode. It's something along the lines of
--enable-lgpl and --disable-gpl as arguments for your ./configure

./configure --help should get you started