From Samul Kevin <lovesumm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Blluesky PMC report
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2009 07:45:57 GMT
2009/4/10 Bill Stoddard <wgstoddard@gmail.com>

> Samul Kevin wrote:

>>> A critical milestone will be getting the code grant in place and checking
>>> the code into svn.  When the code is checked into svn, we can look for
>>> contributors from outside the XJTU students and begin building a
>>> sustainable
>>> community (I think we have some people in India interested in the
> [...]
>>> difficulties
>>> around the licensing of the video technologies... and that maybe the ASF
>>> is
>>> not the best home for Bluesky for this reason.
>>>

>>  yes, the critical part of Bluesky system is video and audio tech. Surely
>> we
>> can't us FFmpeg, but at least we could try to find a suitalbe replacement
>> which in my opinion, there is chance that this problem could be solved.
>>

>>> My question... can we really succeed in realizing the goals of the
>>> bluesky
>>> project under the license and legal constraints imposed by the ASF? Is it
>>> really possible?
>>>

>>    i talked to a friend today. And she analized me as a man who has good
>> traits except self-confidence. she thought that I always think about the
>> worst part so that i am used to be hesitating on doing things.  Though i
>> am
>> gradually change this defect these days, no shame to say, i guest it
>> contributes most in my not finding a girlfriend-_-!.
>>    i assume to complete this project  as to hitch a girl who you love but
>> pretty hard to chase. there are two way beyond, get drunk (countless wine
>> for triumph)or get fucked (lose like hell). Actually, like many people, i
>> didn't anticipate the success of this project at first. But gradually, i
>> found that there is chance we could make it if we sacrifice time to
>> contribute. The chance might be tiny if you chase the girl while it is
>> naught if you just bury the love in the bottom of your heart. Even if the
>> projcet fail at last, i want a decent end after my toiling days and hours.
>>   Where there is a will, there is a way. To my understanding, the future
>> of
>> podling of Bluesky lies on the will of us -- participators of this
>> project.
>> If we were all determined, i don't believe we could not success. I throw
>> the
>> same question to my companions, since we've started it, how could end it?
>> sucessfully, decently or shamely.
>>

> ^_^
>

> My concern is not with the team... my concern is with the technology, or to
> be precise, my concern is with the licensing of the technology.   The ASF
> places restrictions on what kind of software licenses we can use.  Can we
> find suitable alternatives to the GPL components Bluesky relies on?  I am
> waiting on the team to tell me.  If the answer is no, then we have to face
> up to reality... there is no shame in admitting defeat if there are forces
> beyond our control guiding our choices.  We can move the project to a
> different venue (sourceforge maybe?) and distribute Bluesky as GPL code?   I
> don't want to admit defeat just yet... I hope the team can solve the
> problem... but if solving the problem means reinventing ffmpeg, with a
> different license, then we really cannot succeed, can we?  What other

i remember that BSD license does not conflict with ASL. And Theora and
Vorbis are both BSD-like . Though it needs discussion in legal-disuss  to
decide whether it is available under ASL . Personally, i assure about that.
So if we could prove that FFmpeg could be replaced by Theora and Vorbis,
this problem surely can be solved. I will start the comparion after i finish
coding a moldue, which probably would be completed tonight. The only thing i
am concerned is that i can't forecast the time this comparison takes....

--
Bowen Ma a.k.a Samul Kevin @ Bluesky Dev Team    XJTU