From Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Blluesky PMC report
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 17:50:48 GMT
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Samul Kevin <lovesummerf@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now... I have a very difficult question to ask...
>> Bluesky project relies heavily on video technology, most of which is not
>> suitable for redistribution by the ASF (due to licensing terms and
>> condition).   The team has made a great effort over the past year to scrub
>> the project clean of incompatibly licensed code, but is it enough?  My
>> concern is that the project will never be able to resolve the difficulties
>> around the licensing of the video technologies... and that maybe the ASF is
>> not the best home for Bluesky for this reason.
>
>  yes, the critical part of Bluesky system is video and audio tech. Surely we
> can't us FFmpeg, but at least we could try to find a suitalbe replacement
> which in my opinion, there is chance that this problem could be solved.

With the disclaimer that I don't know much about the internals and
challenges in BlueSky code, can this problem be workarounded/solved by
requiring the user to download some software that is capable to do the
video/audio work... and we just delegate to it when we need to play a
video/audio ? Similar to what we have in some Linux distribution,
where it by default does not support mp3, but if you download a given
piece of software (e.g xmms) you can listen to mp3 music.

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany, Apache PhotArk