From "Samul Kevin" <lovesumm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bluesky licensing checklist
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 01:46:01 GMT
the following is two posts replied to my post of consulting the legal
problem with FFmpeg

*William A. Rowe, Jr.*

 发送至 legal-discuss

 显示详细信息 9月25日

 回复

    Samul Kevin wrote:

> You can use libavcodec or libavformat in your commercial program, but
> /any patch you make must be published/. The best way to proceed is to
> send your patches to the FFmpeg mailing list.
>
> here is the url of the general faq:http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/general.html

#  Contributions should be licensed under the LGPL 2.1, including an "or any
later version" clause, or the MIT license. GPL 2
including an "or any later version" clause is also acceptable, but LGPL is
preferred.

Wow.  That's fairly ambiguous.

I don't know how this is going to pan out, but thought I should pass on the
relevant quotation.

Shipping LGPL isn't allowed, but as an /optional/ dependency it's possible
for projects to offer support to it.

Samul Kevin wrote:

> 2008/9/25 William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net
>

> > Shipping LGPL isn't allowed, but as an /optional/ dependency it's
> > possible for projects to offer support to it.

 Please review http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html and discuss with
the incubating project's mentors.  This issue was asked and answered about
two years ago when bluesky sought incubation.

I checked the "resolved" page and found the following words:

GNU LGPLThe LGPL is ineligible primarily due to the restrictions it places
on larger works, violating the third license criterion. Therefore,
LGPL-licensed works must not be included in Apache products.>>Since no other
people in leagl discussion mailing list replied my post. I thought that's a
veto to use ffmpeg. If i misunderstood something , please tell me. We do
need advices to improve our work at apache.

Bowen

--
Bowen Ma a.k.a Samul Kevin @ Bluesky Dev Team    XJTU