From "Samul Kevin" <lovesumm...@gmail.com>
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2008 11:13:46 GMT
As we,bluesky dev-team @ XJTU, are not the native English users,thus,there
are difficult in express us correctly.And most of us did't have the
experience of subscribing to and using a mailing list.Under these two
circumstances,mistakes,which we have already made a lot, are inevitable.They
might be forgiven in a short time but the similary mistake can't recur.So I
abstract the rules which I think we may violate to ensure every one @
bluesky dev-team could "truly deeply madly" make full use of the mailing
list.

 The original mailing list guides is here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html, since it's not very long , I do
wish everyone could read it through.

The following terms are extracted from the official guide:

*Attention: *I will bold "quote" to signify that the following section is
quoted from the guide article

And bold "comment" to show my understanding on the terms

 *Quote:*

The "Developer" lists where you can send questions and comments about the
actual software source code and general "development" types of questions.

 *Comment*:It seems that we have broken this rule many times,hope that we
could act more prefessinally.

 *Quote:*

Ask smart questions.Every volunteer project obtains its strength from the
people involved in it. You are welcome to join any of our mailing lists. You
can choose to lurk, or actively participate; it's up to you. The level of
community responsiveness to specific questions is generally directly
proportional to the amount of effort you spend formulating your question.
Eric Raymond and

Rick Moen have even written an essay entitled "Asking Smart Questions"
precisely on this topic. Although somewhat militant,it is definitely worth
reading.

 Keep your email short and to the point; use a suitable subject line.If your
email is more than about a page of text, chances are that it won't get read
by very many people. It is much better to try to pack a lot of informative
information (see above about asking smart questions) into as small of an
email as possible. If you are replying to a previous email, it is a good
idea to only quote the parts that you are replying to and to remove the
unnecessary bits. This makes it easier for people to follow a thread as well
as making the email archives easier to search and read.

* Comment*:Though we are not native English users, we had to make our
question clear so that people may have more interest to give you guide or
discuss with you.A clear headline lures people check the post and a vivid
depiction would whet their appetite to reply. Do pay attention to the length
of your passage and try not to quote all the passage when you want to
reply.All of these contribute to facilitate people to understand or browse.

*Ps*:In order to ask wisely,we'd better read "How To Ask Questions The Smart
Way" through..

since the officical url I can't visit so I have this one replaced.Here is
the the English version:
http://blog.csdn.net/beyondyxj/archive/2004/10/28/156353.axpx

And this the Chinese version:
http://www.linuxforum.net/doc/smartq-grand.html

 *Quote:*

Start a new thread for a new topicWhen asing a new question, please start a
new thread with an appropriate new subject line. This makes it easier to
read, and to find later in the archives.

 There is usually a setting that will allow you to send "Plain Text" email.

 Please don't send attachments or include large chunks of codeAttachments
can be difficult to read and are rarely needed by all recipients. Some
mailing lists are set up to drop them. If you need to send more than a few
lines of code, ask first. Note that code is often mangled by word-wrapping,
so it is better to provide a link to a downloadable file. If necessary,
arrange with the person(s) responding to the posting how best to give access
to the data, should it prove necessary.

 Watch where you are sending email.The majority of our mailing lists have
set the Reply-To to go back to the list. That means that when you Reply to a
message, it will go to the list and not to the original author directly. The
reason is because it helps facilitate discussion on the list for everyone to
benefit from. Be careful of this as sometimes you may intend to reply to a
message directly to someone instead of the entire list. The appropriate
contents of the Reply-To header is an age-old debate that should not be
brought up on the mailing lists. You can examine opposing points of view
condemning our convention and condoning it. Bringing this up for debate on a
mailing list will add nothing new and is considered off-topic.

* Comment*:As in the former post when we are talking about stlport,we should
have start a new thread when it came to the license problem. Attachment is
allowed in the post, neither a huge bulk of code, we may meet this problem
when the source code is submitted to repository..And there is  chance that
you reply the letter to the author but not the mailing list or you send the
mail which you fail to complete.I suggest that we edit our mail in an editor
tool then copy the completed work to the mailing list.

 At last, i wanna ask something,should it be necessary to make a short
conclusion after a consensus agreement is achieved about a topic as the end
of the topic?

--
Bowen Ma a.k.a Samul Kevin @ Bluesky Dev Team XJTU