From bill stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: Howto: How To update the bluesky website
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:29:55 GMT
bill stoddard wrote:
> Shan Jiang wrote:
>>
>> 3. As we know that svn co can copy the files or dirs form svn repos to
>> /username in local, where does svn update put the copy in
>> people.apache, current path? I have executed the command of svn update
>> in the /home path on people.apache. It failed.

the 'co' in 'svn co' means 'checkout', not 'copy'.  When you run 'svn
co' the .svn subdirectories are created and these subdirectories contain
files used by the svn client to remember where the svn repository is
located (and other information about the respositoy too).  When you do
an 'svn update' in a directory that was checked out, the svn client
looks into the .svn subdirectories to know how to find the svn
repository, it an also find which files have changed in the repository
and refresh those files in your local 'checked out' copy of the
repository. Does that make sense?  If not, I'll try to explain it in a
different way. Let me know.

Bill