From "Bernd Fondermann" <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Re: About xplayer source code
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:07:50 GMT
On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Shan Jiang <dane.xjtu@gmail.com> wrote:
> xplayer is advanced on basic of mplayer (GPL) by our team. mplayer code is
> the core of xplayer and provide many primary functions for it, such as
> audio/video playback, streaming multimedia transport protocols and AV
> encode-decode (actually supported by FFmpeg ).

after some bit of research I found that mplayer and FFmpeg projects
are actually very problematic to integrate with an Apache project.

Both trigger concerns because they potentially include patented
algorithms. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mplayer , Legal Issues
section. This is very bad. This software is simply not distributable
in many countries. But I am sure there are other libraries out there
which are safe to use, for example Vorbis and Theora at
http://www.xiph.org/

  Bernd