From bill stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: What should wo do next about the Bluesky Project?
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:51:29 GMT
Ting Peng wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> we can all the APIs provided by the GNU/Linux releases. These API's are
> released under LGPL(like gtk,gnome,glibc,libavcodec,libavformath).  That is
> enough to make our program run.
> It is not needed to make duplicate copy of these headers file in our source
> code tree. We can use dynamic link option when the program is compiled. This
> is according to my knowledge that ASF program can call  LGPLed API
> dynamically.

That is correct.  The Apache HTTP Server and Apache Portable Runtime
projects are very good references.  All you need to do is include
#include lgpl_foo.h statements in your source code for the lgpl api's
you need to use. When you build the project, the build system (make,
autoconf, etc) will find the lgpl_foo.h files (provided by the linux
distribution you are building on) and create the appropriate calls in
your binary to dynamically bind to the lgpl_foo.so files.  There is no
reason you need to copy lgpl header files into the bluesky project.  C
programming 101 :-)

Bill