From bill stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 01:50:17 GMT
dane0101@apache.org wrote:
> Author: dane0101
> Date: Mon Jul 14 18:19:02 2008
> New Revision: 676784

> Log: (empty)
>
> Removed:
>     incubator/bluesky/trunk/c++/

Thanks Jiang.

Next Steps:
We need a plan for moving forward.  First task to to do an assessment of
the bluesky code, component by component, to identify where each comes
from and the applicable license.  Post the results of the assessment to
this mailing list.  In cases where bluesky has dependencies on GPL/LGPL,
we need to clearly understand the nature of those dependencies, both
technical (linking, etc) and the affect on end users of bluesky (how
will they assembly a fully functional bluesky system).   I feel that
there is a good possibility that bluesky has so much GPL/LGPL throughout
the codebase that it may be impossible to host this project at the ASF.
I hope that is not the case, however if it is the case, we need to
accept it and do the right thing.

If, after the assessment, we determine that bluesky is still a viable
ASF project, the team will need to get the copyright holders of the
existing code (XJTU University?) to sign a license grant to the ASF.  I
can help with that when we get to this point.

As pointed out by Bertrand, all discussions about resolving this issue
need to be done in the open on the mailing list.  Let's keep going
forward and solve  this problem if possible.

Bill