From Ryan Ollos <ryan.ol...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #422: Upgrade Bootstrap to 2.3.1
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2013 22:09:07 GMT
On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 12:55 AM, Olemis Lang <olemis@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/1/13, Apache Bloodhound <bloodhound-dev@incubator.apache.org> wrote:
> > #422: Upgrade Bootstrap to 2.3.1
> >
> [...]
> >
> > Comment (by rjollos):
> >
> >  (In [1451827])
> >
> >  Refs #422: Updated release notes.
> >

> Shall we upgrade to jQuery 1.9 too ? Is it required to make Bootstrap
> 2.3.1 work ? If so how well will it play with Trac and BH specific js
> ?
>
> ... or maybe that does not matter at all ?

I didn't think about this, but it does seem like something we should have
looked at before the upgrade to 2.3.0.

Here is what I'm seeing:
 - Trac 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 provide jQuery 1.7.2
 - The version of jQuery provided by Trac is what we are using on all
Bloodhound pages.
 - Trac 1.1.x release line currently provides 1.8.3 and will eventually
upgrade to jQuery 1.9 or 2.0 (1)
 - Bootstrap 2.2.0 release (2) notes state "upgraded to jQuery 1.8.1"
 - Bootstrap 2.3.0 release notes state "upgraded to jQuery 1.9"

So what does it mean when the Bootstrap release notes state "upgrade to
jQuery"? The Bootstrap package doesn't include jQuery, but they have jQuery
in the repository (3). I'm guess that "upgrade to jQuery" means that they
are testing their jQuery plugins against a particular release of jQuery.
However, I don't see any compatibility statements, as to what versions of
jQuery Bootstrap should work with. Should it work with jQuery 1.7.x? How
about 1.8.x?

I suppose that, whether it matters or not depends on whether anything is
broken in Bloodhound, or could break. We can use the `jquery_location`
setting in TracIni to provide our own version of jQuery. We could check
what was done in Trac when they moved from 1.7.2 to 1.8.3 and if no jQuery
code changes were needed, then we can probably make that transition without
any issues. Since Trac hasn't yet upgraded to 1.9.x, we'd potentially be
discovering more stuff for ourselves there, but whatever we find could be
beneficial for moving along the Trac upgrade of jQuery.

I previously found a incompatibility in Trac (4) between the versions of
jQuery and jQuery UI being used in the development line, so I'm convinced
that the potential for issues here is more than theoretical. To me, the
biggest question here is whether Bootstrap has any stated jQuery
compatibility requirements.

(1) http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/11019
(2) https://github.com/twitter/bootstrap/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md<https://github.com/twitter/bootstrap/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md>
(3)