From Ryan Ollos <ryan.ol...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #467: About page should include a link to Apache Bloodhound
Date Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:36:02 GMT
On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 1:44 AM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> How about leaving some TODO markers in the page via commit? Maybe
> somebody will follow up on that commit, and actually make the changes.

Joe filled this ticket and he's primarily a designer rather than a
developer. It doesn't make sense for him to checkout and edit the codebase
in order to ask for something to be implemented.

> Why should the marker be within a ticket, instead of the codebase
> itself? Again, if somebody goes to fix this, then they have
> double-work: make some commits, and make some ticket changes.

Maybe you don't think that an issue tracker should exist at all? You
continue to suggest that we not use the issue tracker for anything as far
as I can tell. You seem to feel that Subversion and the mailing list are
entirely adequate, and an issue tracker would then be used for what? I
disagree, and I can't speak for others, but I get the impression that I'm
not alone in disagreeing.

> The ticket system is entirely divorced from the codebase. Consider:
> community members can spend the next month handling tickets. Does that
> accomplish anything? Nope. Alternative: work within the actual
> product, making changes/notes as they are discovered.

I'd suggest that we aim to improve the integration of the ticket system
with the code base and correct the flaws here, rather than giving up and
not using the ticket system.

I'm not going to repeat any of my arguments of why I think the ticket
system is better and more valuable than a mailing list, but you can read
them in (1) if you like.

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 1:40 AM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is better discussed on the mailing list, rather than moving the
> discussion over to a ticket.
>
> The majority of the community is on the dev@ list. By placing this
> question into a ticket, you're dividing the set of people who may want
> to discuss this item. You're also attempting to flow the discussion
> into the ticket, rather than here on the dev@ list, where the larger
> community resides.

We are building an issue tracker and we'd like users to use that issue
tracker. Discussing issues may be the first interaction they have with
Bloodhound and it would be nice to expose them to our product.

I'm willing to change how we do things for Bloodhound if there is *a
consensus among the community* that things should be done differently. I'd
like to hear if others agree with the viewpoint of our mentor. I
respectfully disagree.

(1)
http://markmail.org/search/?q=bloodhound%20#query:bloodhound%20list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.bloodhound-dev%20order%3Adate-backward+page:2+mid:3uuwhkztmtipdchw+state:results