From Joachim Dreimann <joachim.dreim...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Query Builder (Search / Custom Query)
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 18:19:34 GMT
I've update the mockup now. In addition to the comments below I've added in
the drop down for which columns to show as suggested by Andrej.

https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/attachment/wiki/BloodhoundSearch/search%20grid%20view.png

On 14 March 2013 19:47, Andrej Golcov <andrej@digiverse.si> wrote:

> >> This is my suggestion for the Query Builder UI in Grid view / batch edit
> >> mode:
> >>
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/attachment/wiki/BloodhoundSearch/search%20grid%20view.png
>
> As it was previously discussed, current search does not support facets
> out off result scope (similar to Ebay opposite to Amazone). That means
> that filters multi-select (OR operation) is not easy in simple way e.g
> multi-check box selection - since the first selection will collapse
> the facet to a single value. Though, there is possibility to add OR
> facet filters in popup (Ebay way). I suggest to proceed with single
> click (without multi-selection) as it is now and add OR functionality
> later based on user feedback.

The multi-select suggestion is a step towards replacing the Custom Query
functionality with this new search interface. As such it can wait if it's
difficult, but I believe we should avoid the popup if at all possible.
Amazon's implementation seems like a much nicer experience to me.

> "Clear filters" link in the breadcrumb - Doesn't "Search" link
> provides the same functionality? I would rather have a link with
> "search text" instead of "Clear filters" with functionality of
> cleaning query text but leaving filters.

I've made that change in the mockup above.

> > how the search integration with multiproduct will function and look
> like? Should we
> > have a global search (across all products) by default and product
> choices as facets,
> > or would it be better to always limit the search to the "current"
> product scope?
> > (I vote for the former I *think*, haven't thought it through yet)
> We can set default product filter based on active product and use
> global search if user navigates directly to global search url - I
> think, Olemis suggested something like this.

I believe search should always be global unless the user chooses otherwise.
Our ranking should ensure that most relevant items move towards the top,
and a data point for this could be recently viewed products.

> But in both cases
> bhsearch should provide possibility to change search scope to a
> different product or search through all products e.g. it is common use
> case when user searches through all products to get assigned tickets
> (query: "$tickets $my"). I think, we need some kind of product
> selector with possibility to select "All products". I believe,  Joe
> mentioned http://harvesthq.github.com/chosen/ as possible
> implementation.
>
> Cheers, Andrej

Cheers,