From Joachim Dreimann <joachim.dreim...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Development and release process
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:30:47 GMT
On 18 March 2013 10:14, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com> wrote:

> On 18/03/13 09:26, Peter Koželj wrote:

>>> There is nothing wrong with using issue trackers to track bugs, or even
>>> tasks. I myself have used issue trackers as a project management tool --
>>> but in different circumstances.
>>>
>>> Let me try to give a concrete example: This community has decided to
>>> introduce "Bloodhound enhancement proposals" as a formalized procedure
>>> for defining and accepting feature definitions. Fine. But, why then,
>>> once the feature has been designed and documented, take the extra step
>>> of breaking it down into separate tasks and creating tracker entries for
>>> those -- instead of just writing code? The exact same level of oversight
>>> can be achieved, with much less context switching and overhead, simply
>>> by writing informative log messages -- which are, IMO, a lot more useful
>>> to someone who tries to understand the reasoning behind a certain piece
>>> of code from commit history.
>>>

> I can't deny that last bit of logic as it is a bit self referential. Yes,
> we want to see good log messages to enable scrutiny through the log.
> However, we should also benefit through linking commits to a ticket which
> is an easier way to put a change in context. A commit message is often
> going to be more about what happened than why.

Ok, so my suggestion would be that whenever a commit message mentions a
ticket, it gets added to the ticket as a comment.
- Poor commit messages get more exposure that way
- It encourages people to refer to tickets providing more context ( NOT a
substitute for a good commit message)
- Developers don't need to also add a comment to Bloodhound directly, the
commit message will do.

For that Bloodhound would need some awareness of the repository; that has
never been available since we started the project, and has been an open
Jira ticket since last July(!):

Greg and Brane, how do you suggest we can get progress on this? We've
followed up on this quite a few times: via IRC, email and in board reports.
Gary has also just raised the priority.

--
Joe Dreimann