From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Query Builder (Search / Custom Query)
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:35:49 GMT
On 3/20/13, Joe Dreimann <joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 20 Mar 2013, at 20:53, Olemis Lang <olemis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3/20/13, Joachim Dreimann <joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> On 14 March 2013 19:47, Andrej Golcov <andrej@digiverse.si> wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> I believe search should always be global unless the user chooses
>>> otherwise.
>>
>> what does this mean exactly ? Let's focus on the following situation .
>> User reads let's say a wiki page in product P and searches for word W
>> by using search input box in the header . In your opinion is there any
>> value for getting results from other projects , even potentially not
>> provide any result for the active project ?
>
> Yes.
[...]

My point is somehow similar to this :

http://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/?source=navbar

In there you'll find focused product-specific Search Tickets box and
broad Search box in body header . So user will choose search scope
explicitly . The only difference being that our proposal for focused
search (by default) should span over multiple resources (not just
tickets) . That means that I basically agree with you on user intents
within product boundaries . OTOH I disagree on not to limit the
(default) scope of search to active product . Systematically leading
the user out of product boundaries is not a good practice afaict

PS: I actually don't know whether the search box at the top is really
part of Allura of a SF.net specific add-on .

--
Regards,

Olemis.