From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [BEP-0003] Multi product repositories
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2013 15:43:20 GMT
On 3/13/13, Branko ─îibej <brane@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 13.03.2013 11:47, Jure Zitnik wrote:
>> Hi,

:)

>> one thing that has not been discussed in relation to multi-products
>> yet are VCS repositories.

they should be global , and SQL queries will not be translated

>> Current implementation does not 'productize' repositories, all
>> repositories are global.

that's correct

>> In my opinion this should be changed to have
>> per product repositories. Practically this would mean adding
>> 'repository' table to the translated table list.

-1

>> Olemis on the other hand suggested (in another thread) that all
>> repositories should be global and have 'soft links' to products which
>> would allow for repository reusal in different product contexts.

I recall ...

>> I would suggest we go with the first option (per-product repositories)
>> for now and add support for 'global' repositories and 'soft links' at
>> the later stage.

[...]
> IIRC, a "repository" in Trac implies an index of all changes.

+1

> With
> per-product repositories, you'd be duplicating all those indexes, which
> can cause serious database size explosion.

... and also an unnecessary repetition of changeset caching procedure
wasting valuable CPU time thus seriously degrading overall performance
for no good reason .

> Consider, for example, the ASF: there is one repository with well over a
> million revisions and ~100 "products" stored in it, so you're looking at
> two orders of magnitude more data for repository indexing if you
> duplicate the repos in a bloodhound instance for each project.

This is a fact O(p * r) ... and considering that r > p will be a
frequent scenario that becomes O(p^2)

--
Regards,

Olemis.