From Joe Dreimann <joachim.dreim...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #467: About page should include a link to Apache Bloodhound
Date Sat, 16 Mar 2013 16:51:17 GMT
Ryan is spot on here I think.

I would like to think that we are welcoming to people who are not comfortable committing everything
to the codebase, because their suggestions can still be valuable contributions. That's not
wooly feel good talk but an approach to encourage contributions.

By definition everyone that contributes here believes that issue trackers add value, so arguing
against using our own may be a big turnoff to contributors.

Greg and Brane you are highlighting some important problems with issue tracking software in
general though, like the complete separation between information in issue trackers and the
codebase.

I believe we should try and address these issues in Apache Bloodhound instead of accepting
them as a fact and working around them ourselves. Part of the value of dogfooding, like we
are doing, is to feel these pain points and then do something about them. If Bloodhound deals
with them better than other issue trackers we're probably on to a winner.

So, what can we do?
- Expose TODOs found in the source code comments in the Bloodhound UI, which should help people
discovering them and developers being more comfortable to not also raise a ticket
- Show relevant mailing list discussions on tickets, this may drive more discussing to the
mailing list without the annoyance painful search in 3rd party hosted archives to refer to
emails
- Close tickets or comment on them via commit messages, removing the need to go back to the
bloodhound UI to do so.
- Improve the search in source code (that would have helped me add an inline comment)
- Allow adding comments to the source code via the bloodhound UI (not code mind you)

Some of these are no doubt bad ideas, but I would challenge you to come up with better ways
to reduce the overhead an issue tracker introduces and improve it further instead of arguing
we should essentially stop using it.

- Joe

@jdreimann - Twitter
Sent from my phone