From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Bug in ticket workflow?
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2013 01:51:34 GMT
On 25/03/13 21:57, Matevž Bradač wrote:
> On 25. Mar, 2013, at 22:28, Olemis Lang wrote:
>
>> On 3/25/13, Matevž Bradač <matevz@digiverse.si> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> On another note, Trac seems to allow assigning tickets to non-existant
>>> users,
>>> without any warning. Should we at least warn the users of a potential
>>> mistake,
>>> or perhaps even prevent it (though this might be a bit extreme)?
>>>
>> Beyond component owner , there is also default owner and restrict
>> owner config options . The later will display a drop down box . If
>> that is enough then this may be solved in TracIni configuration .
> I'll check restrict_owner, although it seems that it then displays the
> list of all users that ever logged into Trac (from the session table).
>
> Default owner is okay, but what I was referring to is reassigning a
> ticket to another user - that operation is somewhat error prone if you
> mistype the user name. In such cases the tickets may hang around
> unnoticed...

It looks to me like the restrict_owner option would do the required job
of restricting assignment to existing users, although, at least for
default workflows, it may not allow us to go back to a null user state
without defining a user to represent that state. There might be better
approaches than that.

Another interesting question that it brings is what to do about the
tickets of users that belong to a user who is in the process of being
deleted - should there be the offer to bulk reassign such tickets to
another user?

Cheers,
     Gary