From Ulrich Stärk <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2013
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:51:45 GMT
Hi Branko,

unfortunately I cannot include these ideas in our list. You will have to enter them in the
COMDEV
JIRA project at [1], as stated in my original email. Once they are in JIRA, they will show
up
automatically in our ideas list if labelled correctly.

You can see [2]-[4] for examples. The Apache OpenOffice project is also using a different
bugtracker.

Cheers,

Uli

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMDEV
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMDEV-76
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMDEV-77
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMDEV-78

On 22.03.2013 20:06, Branko Čibej wrote:
> Hi Uli,
>
> The Bloodhound PMC missed this message as the podling just graduated and
> the mailing lists haven't been updated yet. BH doesn't use Jira, of
> course (that'd be somewhat strange), but we started listing tasks that
> would be suitable for GSoC here:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/query?status=!closed&keywords=~gsoc
>
> Please add them to the list you're compiling.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- Brane
>
> On 22.03.2013 10:01, Ulrich Stärk wrote:
>> Dear PMCs,
>>
>> I'm going to submit our application to Google this weekend but our ideas list only
shows 34 ideas
>> until now. That's a shame considering that we have over a hundred projects and were
able to offer
>> potential students 142 project ideas to choose from last year and it might also hinder
our chances
>> of being accepted.
>>
>> Remember, GSoC is a great way to attract fresh blood to your projects and to get
work done that
>> might otherwise go undone. It is in your own interest to participate.
>>
>> Incubator mentors, please also talk to your respective podlings.
>>
>> If there is anything keeping you from participating, or anything that needs clarification,
don't
>> hesitate to contact the community development project at dev@community.apache.org
or, if you want to
>> keep the discussion private, code-awards@apache.org.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Uli
>>
>> On 05.03.2013 16:26, Ulrich Stärk wrote:
>>> Hello PMCs,
>>>
>>> Google Summer of Code [1] is the ideal opportunity for you to attract new contributors
to your projects.

>>> The ASF will apply as a participating organization meaning individual projects
don't have to apply
>>> separately.
>>>
>>> If you want to participate with your project you NOW need to
>>>
>>> - understand what it means to be a mentor [2].
>>>
>>> - record your project ideas. Just create issues in JIRA, label them with gsoc2013,
and they will
>>> show up at [3]. Please be as specific as possible when describing your idea.
Include the programming
>>> language, the tools and skills required, but try not to scare potential students
away. They are
>>> supposed to learn what's required before the program starts. Use labels, e.g.
for the programming
>>> language (java, c, c++, erlang, python, brainfuck, ...) or technology area (cloud,
xml, web, foo,
>>> bar, ...) and record them at [5]. Please use the COMDEV JIRA project for recording
your ideas if
>>> your project doesn't use JIRA (e.g. httpd, ooo). Contact dev@community.apache.org
if you need
>>> assistance.