From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #467: About page should include a link to Apache Bloodhound
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 13:28:08 GMT
On 18/03/13 10:55, Andrej Golcov wrote:
> I agree with Gary and just want to add my opinion where I found usage of
> issue tracker useful during BH development.
>
> BH project is quite young and often commits include a lot of code and it
> can be hard to follow in-code TODOs for other developers. In such case,
> adding a ticket with TODO task is more obvious to me. Using tickets for
> planning of new features is also looks more convenient to me
>
> IMHO, where we can avoid unnecessary overhead is not using issue tracker
> for small-to-medium obvious changes. IOW, if we see obvious problem or
> improvement - just fix it and don't spend time for creating-closing
> tickets. That also means that not all commit messages should contain
> #ticket number.
>
> Cheers, Andrej

Well, I don't think I want to see a particular distinction between small
changes and larger (sets of) changes. I would argue that it is unlikely
for anyone to be spending all their time doing lots of small commits in
disparate areas of the code with no relationship between them over
extended periods. Where changes are related, a single ticket could be
raised to cover many such changes. Otherwise, for one-offs, the
associated overhead should not really be a significant part of a
committer's overall time.

Cheers,
     Gary