From Branko ─îibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [BEP-0003] Multi product repositories
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:28:07 GMT
On 13.03.2013 11:47, Jure Zitnik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> one thing that has not been discussed in relation to multi-products
> yet are VCS repositories.
>
> Current implementation does not 'productize' repositories, all
> repositories are global. In my opinion this should be changed to have
> per product repositories. Practically this would mean adding
> 'repository' table to the translated table list.
>
> Olemis on the other hand suggested (in another thread) that all
> repositories should be global and have 'soft links' to products which
> would allow for repository reusal in different product contexts.
>
> I would suggest we go with the first option (per-product repositories)
> for now and add support for 'global' repositories and 'soft links' at
> the later stage.
>
> Any comments/suggestions on this?

IIRC, a "repository" in Trac implies an index of all changes. With
per-product repositories, you'd be duplicating all those indexes, which
can cause serious database size explosion.

Consider, for example, the ASF: there is one repository with well over a
million revisions and ~100 "products" stored in it, so you're looking at
two orders of magnitude more data for repository indexing if you
duplicate the repos in a bloodhound instance for each project.

-- Brane

--
Branko ─îibej