From Branko ─îibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Charter preparation
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 20:25:45 GMT
On 06.03.2013 21:14, Gary Martin wrote:
> On 06/03/13 19:38, Gary Martin wrote:
>>
>> OK, I'll see if I can work out what goes on with creating the
>> charter/resolution which I think the guidelines suggest should be
>> done prior to the vote. It will be worth trying to get this done
>> quickly but obviously it will be as quick as the community allows.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>     Gary
>
> So, the resolution looks pretty straight forward to write.

The resolution is mostly boilerplate, but the community must decide
several things which have bearing on the resolution:

  * The composition of the new PMC
  * The proposed PMC chairman

For the PMC, I propose that all current committers become PMC members
when the project graduates. I also propose we adopt the "committer ==
PMC member" model after graduation, as given the number of active
developers, it makes little sense to maintain that artificial barrier. I
also propose you invite the mentors onto the PMC.

N.B., Subversion has the concept of "partial committer", i.e., a
contributor with ASF committer status but whose commit rights are
restricted to a branch or a specific area of the code (this restriction
is not enforced via access control). It's IMO too early to complicate
matters on this project by emulating this practice.

Regarding the PMC chair, given that a TLP no longer has mentors, it's
usually a good idea at least initially to give the funny hat to someone
who has a bit more mileage with the ASF. But that's by no means a
requirement. All the PMC chair really does is submit reports to the board.

> A quick look at the guidelines do not suggest that anything in
> particular needs to be restricted to the private list but I will be
> happy to accept advice on that.

I see no reason to keep anything private, except for the actual
invitations to the PMC, which I believe should remain private (i.e., on
the private list) (Greg, I'd appreciate your insight on that topic).

-- Brane

--
Branko ─îibej