From Branko ─îibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Commits vs Tickets
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 08:15:42 GMT
On 06.03.2013 08:57, Greg Stein wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've noticed, for a while, that bloodhound-dev is filled with more
> ticket activity than commit activity. This doesn't seem right.
>
> Using tickets to plan changes is more of a Review-Than-Commit
> approach, and is definitely slower for development. This project was
> set up as Commit-Then-Review, but I think it has fallen into a "let's
> use our BH install and file tickets for everything" mode. As a result,
> development appears to be *much* slower than it should otherwise be.
>
> When filing a ticket, I would encourage everybody to stop and
> reconsider. If you can perform a commit, then do that instead. Others
> can review the commit, rather than the ticket.
>
> If you are working on some code, and are skipping some work, then just
> drop in a comment about the future-needed work. In the Subversion
> project, we've found that marking these comments with ### makes them
> easy to spot/find (no code/prose looks like that, so they stand out).
> By placing these "to-do" markers into the code while you're working
> there, and committing, it means you don't have to change contexts to
> go and file a future work ticket.
>
> If you want to discuss something, then consider just placing it onto
> the dev@ list. Most people want to interact on the *list* ... not
> through comments on tickets. By filing a ticket, for something
> intended for discussion, then you're actually working against
> yourself. The broadest (and easiest) discussion forum is here on dev@.
>
> I would recommend filing tickets *only* for bugs.
>
> Please... let's get back to Commit-Then-Review. More commits. Less tickets.

We've had this discussion before, and for a short time the situation was
better. ... but apparently not for long.

I absolutely agree with Greg. There's something wrong with the fact that
there are several hundred tickets open, many of them seem to be
"implementation instructions" for designs in the wiki -- which clearly
should've resulted in code, not more tickets. :)

-- Brane

--
Branko ─îibej