From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Query Builder (Search / Custom Query)
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 11:23:49 GMT
On 01/03/13 10:59, Andrej Golcov wrote:
>> I'm not clear on what this means in practice - I had the impression that
>> both Amazon and (current) Bloodhound show the number of items found under
>> the current constraints (query term, other facets) per facet.
> Actually, Amazon search shows counts for Brands out of search scope.
> For example, using your sample from url above, if you filter by
> Sumsung brand, you see also other brands and counts. Ok, we are to
> deep in technical details here.

It is a good point though. The advantage of allowing this is that we get
the ability to do or relations within each category but, unless there is
some kind of shortcut to the information in whoosh, it would mean
multiple searches.

The ebay solution mentioned in Andrej's reply also shows another means
to create the OR condition by providing a popup to show just one
category of facets which would be a search that could be done on demand.
They also do not bother with showing the number of results under each
category except within the popup.

I think I prefer the form that Joe proposes for giving more information
but it may be worth compromising.

>>>   - Number of products can be quite big and facet filter IMHO is not
>>> the best way to filter product specific resource.  I would suggest
>>> having an combo or dropdown with product selector. Something similar
>>> to projects in http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues or "computer
>>> components" dropdown in amazon link that you provided. The product
>>> selector can be  part of top navigation and used not only by search.
>>>
>> Seems reasonable, although I would suggest that Chosen has a better Multi
>> Select style:
>> http://harvesthq.github.com/chosen/
> +1.

Looks good to me too.

>>>   - search breadcrumbs:
>>>     - What does link on "Search >" on the left of breadcrumb?
>>>
>> http://[bloodhound]/search (incl current search box query)
> Ack
>
>>>     - I suppose that click on "Ticket >" link in the breadcrumbs resets
>>> all filters except search box query? Does "Clear filters" link
>>> duplicates the similar functionality?
>>>
>> My thinking was actually that it removes all filters other than the one for
>> Type.
> I like how ebay represents search breadcrumbs, for example, check this
> http://goo.gl/jHZPQ
> It is very clear that click on search breadcrumb deletes a particular filter.

This was closer to what I was thinking we would want but it could be
duplicating the ability to delete a filter from the side menu. The
current design is suggestive of a positional breadcrumb which may not be
so appropriate here (though currently consistent with other uses).

>>>   - I think about "View as" as a part of toolbar below of search
>>> breadcrumb. The toolbar may include select all/none methods, batch
>>> operations etc.
>>>
>> Yep. Those options shouldn't be visible though unless they actually apply.
>> See Gmail's batch operations buttons for inspiration.
> +1
>
>>> - Will we support possibility to specify sorting in free text search view?
>> No - If our sorting of results isn't good enough for the majority of cases
>> we should probably fix that before we ask users to figure it out for
>> themselves.
> Ok.
> Just one note: grid view already supports sorting of columns similar
> how it is done in Trac custom queries.
> I think we can later provide kind of sort selector, at least for grid view.

Sounds good.

Cheers,
     Gary