From Ryan Ollos <ryan.ol...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: What's in and out to work towards Release 5 milestone WAS: [DISCUSS] Bloodhound Graduation
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 18:52:32 GMT
On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Olemis Lang <olemis@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/4/13, Peter Koželj <peter@digiverse.si> wrote:
> > For community diversity we need to excite more users and contributors and
> > you do not get one without the other.
> > I seems a bit like a chicken and egg problem.
> >
> > To be honest, it is hard to "sell" Bloodhound to users with a straight
> > face.
>
> Well ... it's a fact that we have to improve a lot on what we have
> nowadays , but it's also true that there are users out there
> interested on what we offer nowadays .

Yes, I think both of those statements are true. We need to fix the quirks
that Peter mentioned, but once we have gotten to the point of working out
the issues with the new interface, I expect that many users would be
willing to adopt Bloodhound just on the basis of the new interface,
dashboard, etc ... and the possibility of new features on the horizon just
makes it more appealing.  Said another way, I don't think we need a whole
lot more than what exists now to get some adoption, provided that what
exists now is more refined. One reasons I say this is that over the years I
have seen a lot of people on the mailing list express dissatisfaction with
the interface for Trac. Another reason is that the themes seems to be
relatively popular on Trac-Hacks, so hopefully Bloodhound is widely
appealing to users seeking a different theme, and more.

> > 1. We do not offer much new to current Trac users with additional
> drawbacks
> > of being a bit behind the latest Trac version,
> >     risk of plugin compatibility problems and even some new usability
> > quirks for a good measure
> > 2. To anyone not satisfied with what Trac has to offer, we can not give
> > more than promises right now
> >

> Add to the list the fact that clients making use of version control
> and repositories will reject right away our current offer . That's why
> the instances we have deployed always include the patches for #162 and
> related vcs tickets .
>
> Should we schedule them for release 5 ?

Yes, I think so. I suggested to Gary that yesterday that I'd work to apply
your patches in #162 this week.

It's great to hear that you are deploying instances!