From Anand Kumria <>
Subject Re: Query Builder (Search / Custom Query)
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2013 23:15:31 GMT
Hello Joachim,

(ugh: reply-to munging mailing lists. The 1990s called, they want
their pointlessness back.)

I'm a short-time lurker, but I quite like your proposal.

Like your college, Gary, I think have the auto-close functionality is very odd.

The link to Amazon you gave does not exhibit the same thing.

To me, it'd make more sense to simply show - immediately if possible -
the faceted items.

Instead, like Amazon, simply highlight what the faceted terms happen to be.

On 25 February 2013 20:09, Gary Martin <> wrote:
> I find myself in two minds about the auto close - it is certainly feels
> useful to see a summary form but I wonder if one set of facets closing but
> others remaining open might look a little messy.
> It is going to be interesting to come up with good ways of representing
> complicated queries but hopefully this simple form covers the most
> important cases.
> Cheers,
>     Gary
> On 25 February 2013 18:33, Joachim Dreimann
> <>wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I've had some more time now to look at how we can go from the current
>> which we've called the Query Builder so far I believe.
>> This is mainly achieved by making facets check boxes:
>> Roughly inspired by Amazons design:
>> When a user makes some selections in the facets area an then moves the
>> mouse out of the area for a given time, a countdown is shown until those
>> sections in which a selection happened collapse into a more condensed view
>> of the selection:
>> Altogether these changes allow users to execute simple boolean queries, of
>> the type shown below:
>> {text string from search box} AND type a AND status { a OR b OR c} AND
>> component { all } AND milestone { !milestone6}
>> When in the table view users will be able to make batch changes too, this
>> isn't shown in the mock ups yet.
>> What do you guys think, is this going in the right direction?
>> Cheers,
>> Joe
>> --
>> Joe Dreimann
>> UX Designer | WANdisco <>

“Don’t be sad because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss

View raw message