From Joachim Dreimann <joachim.dreim...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Query Builder (Search / Custom Query)
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 18:27:18 GMT
Ok I accept that auto-close may be a whacky idea and not helpful in this
form now. I'll remove it from the next mockup.

On 26 February 2013 13:10, Andrej Golcov <andrej@digiverse.si> wrote:

> > I've had some more time now to look at how we can go from the current
> > which we've called the Query Builder so far I believe.
> >
> > This is mainly achieved by making facets check boxes:
> >
> https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/attachment/wiki/Proposals/BEP-0004/search.png
>
> One clarification.
> BH search shows facets in a different way from Amazone. BH search
> shows facets count within returned result set. In other words if user
> filters by component "A", bhsearch will show only one recored "A
> (count)" for component facets. It is possible to do in Amazon way, but
> requires at least one more search request. For now, I would stay with
> current implementation.

I'm not clear on what this means in practice - I had the impression that
both Amazon and (current) Bloodhound show the number of items found under
the current constraints (query term, other facets) per facet.

> Some notes and comments from my side:
>  - We can also provide multi-level facets and date-time based facets
> e.g. ticket milestone/state so UI should be able to support this

Understood. I think this fits will in the proposed style and is more a
question of implementing those special cases (like the styling of date
fields).

>  - Number of products can be quite big and facet filter IMHO is not
> the best way to filter product specific resource.  I would suggest
> having an combo or dropdown with product selector. Something similar
> to projects in http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues or "computer
> components" dropdown in amazon link that you provided. The product
> selector can be  part of top navigation and used not only by search.

Seems reasonable, although I would suggest that Chosen has a better Multi
Select style:
http://harvesthq.github.com/chosen/

>  -  BH resources have quite big number of fields. All of them cannot
> be put in facets. So, we probably still need some kind of advanced
> query builder in futue. But with aforementioned suggestion we can
> pospone the advanced query builder for some time.

Similar to the current Custom Query builder users could add categories from
a dropdown, and restrict them to a  value in a similar way. I'll include
this in the next mockup I'm putting together tomorrow.

http://[bloodhound]/search (incl current search box query)

>    - I suppose that click on "Ticket >" link in the breadcrumbs resets
> all filters except search box query? Does "Clear filters" link
> duplicates the similar functionality?

My thinking was actually that it removes all filters other than the one for
Type.

>  - "View as: Grid | Free text: Grid is just one of the possible (and
> pluggable in future) ways of the result presentation. Though, I
> suggest to have "View as" in dropdown way.

Dropdown: could do, it's an extra click now vs potentially saving space in
future. I'll put that in my next mockup.

>  - I think about "View as" as a part of toolbar below of search
> breadcrumb. The toolbar may include select all/none methods, batch
> operations etc.

Yep. Those options shouldn't be visible though unless they actually apply.
See Gmail's batch operations buttons for inspiration.

>  - "next >": is it next page link? Trac search uses "Next
> Page/Previous Page" navigation on the right side of breadcrumb bar,
> just below App dropdown. Does it mean that we will not show page
> numbers e.g. 1,2,3... as it is done now?

We may have it in the breadcrumb instead, I don't believe that is applied
consistently currently. The pagination at the bottom should stay and isn't
affected by this.

> - Will we support possibility to specify sorting in free text search view?

No - If our sorting of results isn't good enough for the majority of cases
we should probably fix that before we ask users to figure it out for
themselves.

> > When a user makes some selections in the facets area an then moves the
> > mouse out of the area for a given time, a countdown is shown until those
> > sections in which a selection happened collapse into a more condensed
> view
> > of the selection:
> I would prefer some static way (e.g. similar to Amazon) of doing this
> without auto collapsing.

Ok.

> > When in the table view users will be able to make batch changes too, this
> > isn't shown in the mock ups yet.
> We can support batch operation for free text view also. It is just
> another way of presentation.

I understand it's technically possible, but I'm not convinced it's as easy
to present or obvious to users.

Cheers,
Joe

--