From Andrej Golcov <and...@digiverse.si>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #316: UI mockup for improved search prototype
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:36:09 GMT
>  I think we can safely remove the tabs along the top (Ticket, Wiki,
>  Milestone) since that's filtering by type - and we can already to that via
>  the Facets.
There is one thing that is stopping me from completely agree on this
subject. If tabs is removed, current type should be reflected in
search breadcrumbs similar to current facets drill-down breadcrumbs.
That means that switch between search of different types is not so
obvious and require more actions.

>  (I assume the search box will also disappear from the page when this is
>  search is set to be the default, since it's already available in the meta-
>  navigation.)
Not necessarily.
Let's name top search in meta-navigation as "quick search box" and
search within search page as "advanced search".
search type,  sort, filters, etc. There are also idea to add product
selector, may be fields selector, sorting selector etc. So I'm
thinking about leaving these two search boxes (similar to how it is
implemented in Trac and Jira) but advanced search should be visually
different to avoid user confusing. Text posted from quick search box
should resulted in advanced search box.
What do you think?

>  I will raise separate tickets to make the "View as Grid | Free text"
>  option more obvious, improve styling a bit and to enable the functionality
>  needed to achieve feature parity with the custom query tool.
I imagine that such functionality can be represented as kind of
toolbar just above search result , something similar to gmail toolbar
above mails. Later we can introduce more pluggable actions, views,
multi-select functionality with batch action support.

Regards, Andrej