From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject [BEP-0003] Handling product env's base_url
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 05:45:14 GMT
This is something I wanted to discuss since long time ago but
postponed the whole thing until really necessary ... i.e. now that I'm
going to start translating test cases for batch ticket updates , I
noticed that they make use of environment's href . Therefore I ask :

Q:
  - What would be the default approach to specify product environments href ?

There are some aspects to consider in advance of installing proposed approach :

  a. it should be prepared to deal with large numbers of products
  b. ... and still not to represent a big overhead to site admins
  c. it should be flexible enough to support different kinds
     of product namespaces [1]_

The first immediate impression I have is that traditional approach
(i.e. base_url option in [trac] section) does not scale up to cope
with (a) and satisfy (b) . Therefore I suggest the following algorithm
for product env's href resolution .

  1. if base_url option in [trac] section is set then use it
  2. ... else , consider a new option **in global environment**
     (e.g. product_base_href in either [trac] or [multiproduct] sections) .
     It will consist of a template string that will be expanded
     using product prefix e.g. http://$product.domain.tld for product
     sub-domains [2]_ similiar to edgewall.org
  3. ... else use a (default) built-in product URL expansion rule
     (e.g. http://domain.tld/path/to/bh/globalenv/products/$product)
  4. ... or, if global env's base_url option is not set then
     do exactly the same environments do atm when base_url is missing

What do you think ?

PS: I'll summarize the discussion in BEP 3 , for the record .

PS: PS: resource hierarchies coming soon ... ;)

.. [1] Product resources namespaces
       (https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/Proposals/BEP-0003#url-mapping)

.. [2] Product sub domain
       (https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/Proposals/BEP-0003#deploy-domain)