From Olemis Lang <>
Subject Re: Need advice: stripping of wiki syntax from Bloodhound Search results
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2013 17:54:30 GMT
On 2/14/13, Matevž Bradač <> wrote:
> On 14. Feb, 2013, at 15:33, Gary Martin wrote:
>> On 14/02/13 12:18, Andrej Golcov wrote:
>>> HI,

>>> Branko suggested to strip wiki syntax from Bloodhound Search results
>>> that is IMHO quite reasonable suggestion. That featue will give us
>>> better search scoring and better highlighting.
>>> I have one question regarding implementation of this feature.
>>> I far as I can see, existing formatters (e.g.*
>>> classes) provide wiki to html formatting but not wiki to stripped
>>> text. Do I missed something?

Well now I see that Trac search handler emits formatted text (i.e.
highlights search keywords using `.searchword#` classes) for this
purpose . I also noticed that we don't highlight those as we removed
Trac css in theme plugin .

>>> One of the possibility, that I see, is to convert wiki to html and
>>> than convert html to text. That does not look like the most optimal
>>> solution.
>>> Any alternatives, ideas?

Could you figure out how it does such a thing ?

>> I should find out more about how the formatters work! My first thought
>> would be to look at creating a new formatter that strips out syntax but I
>> am not sure how big a job that will be.

should be similar to link extraction formatter , but instead of
processing links and ignoring everything else , just process text and
ignore everything else .

> Since the formatters return a Markup, perhaps a quick workaround would be to
> use
> something like Markup's stripentities() and striptags() to get the "raw"
> text back?

afaict this should work too .

View raw message